Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bombay 2 Pune

I have done Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai so many times in last three weeks that I am loosing track of it already. I have been trying different modes of transport every time. First time I took a door to door "cool-cab" (taxi with air conditioning). It costs around Rs.1880 and they will pick you up from your house and drop you off at your office. Pretty convinient and fast but can prove to be costly if done every week.

So then I tried the shared "cool-cab". This is the same taxi but shared by three people and it is NOT door to door. So I had to go from Andheri to Dadar TT by cab (see photo below) Dadar happens to be in the opposite direction of Pune. So I didn't quite like the whole deal with shared cab. Although it is quite economical and you only pay Rs. 280 for the journey.

So last time I took a "volvo" bus. These are buses operated by private tour companies and operate daily between Pune-Mumbai. Their pick up locations are pretty convenient and I was able to catch one on Deccan which is very close to my house. This option costs Rs. 220 but it does take any where from 4 to 5 hours to reach Mumbai (Compared to three hours by cool cab) The nice thing about Volvo was that it is adequately air conditioned and you are completely isolated from the traffic outside. So it proves to be more relaxing that cool cab. (in cool cab even when you are not driving the traffic around you makes you feel tired) I do have some photos of the Volvo bus that I will post soon. Check out this "cool cab" :-) This is the way they transfer truck chassis from manufacturing plant to dealers. Usually you see a convoy of such bare bone vehicles on the roads. I felt really bad for these drivers as they have no protection from heat, sun and pollution!This photos is specifically for my paragliding friends. I was noticing the nice cummies as I was waiting in the line at the toll booth on my way to work to Mumbai :(

No comments: