Tuesday, August 07, 2007

How much is enough?

As it might be apparent from my earlier blogs, one thing that keeps bugging me that I am making less money than what I used to....regardless of what other gains I now have, this feeling is still there somewhere! But in reality how much you make really does not matter but what matters is how much you make w.r.t. those around you! :) (The good old percentile methodology)

I came across this great article just today from New York Times. May be it was some type of omen that I ran into this article.....i like some of the following comments from it...

“Everyone around here looks at the people above them,” said Gary Kremen, the 43-year-old founder of Match.com, a popular online dating service. “It’s just like Wall Street, where there are all these financial guys worth $7 million wondering what’s so special about them when there are all these guys worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars.”

Or the article concludes with the following remark,

To Mr. Milletti, it all looks like a marathon with no finish line.

“Here, the top 1 percent chases the top one-tenth of 1 percent, and the top one-tenth of 1 percent chases the top one-one-hundredth of 1 percent,” he said.

“You try not to get caught up in it,” he added, “but it’s hard not to.”



5 comments:

Kedar Mhaswade said...

Happiness, my friend!

Unknown said...

And for happiness, how much is enough?

Suhas Kelkar said...

happiness == 5 million USD (assuming that US dollar does not weaken any further :)

Foodie said...

I think as long as you can maintain the same or better living conditions with same or better amount in savings (off course based on the % of the salary and not same amount compared to USD) it should good enough I guess.....actually with all added benefits of being in India it has to be much more than enough...... :-)

Foodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.