Thursday, August 16, 2007

it is not all punekar's fault!

Lot has been said about how pune-ites are bad about following traffic rules. Much of it is true but there also another reason for their collective behavior. I feel the following things cause some people to dis-obey the rules even despite their best intentions to do so,
  • Traffic lights are not functional after say 9pm. I don't understand why they can't keep them on all night because what this encourages is the behavior where people think it is okay to not obey traffic lights at night!
  • Many times, half of the traffic lights in an intersection are not working. e.g. as I approach SP college traffic lights, the lights are completely blank/not working. This leads me to believe that traffic lights in all directions are not functioning. However that is not the case. The lights in other directions are working fine. Once again this creates confusion whether or not I am supposed to stop at the non-functioning traffic lights.
  • Just yesterday I saw traffic police directing traffic EVEN WHEN traffic lights were working just fine. So essentially the traffic police was OVER-RIDING the traffic lights. So here I am supposed to go through a red light because a traffic police is asking me to do so. Tell me that this does not lead to people not stopping at red lights.
  • For the life of me, I don't understand the sequence of traffic lights in some intersections. Around the corner from my house (Girija/Kalpana BheL chowk) the traffic light goes green, then briefly becomes red and then goes green again. If you have stopped on the crossroad trying to get on to TiLak road, then you feel that you can proceed when tilak road light becomes red but then again it turns green! My logical mind goes for a toss every time I pass through that intersection.
  • Do you have any more such supporting instance? if so please add it in the comments!

1 comment:

Antares said...

Buddy, the problem with traffic lights being switched off after 9 or so is something which I ve observed in many cities in India.. Not Pune alone!
I think we can safely cross that out! :)